Thursday, October 24, 2013

First Lines (story starters)

Who doesn't love messing with Siri? That's pretty much the only thing she's good for. ^_^
Today in drivers ed (last day Woooo!!!) I had some free time because I finished early. So I decided to come up with some "First Lines," what I could picture as being good openers for a story/book. I also dug up some first lines from other things I've done in the past.
I figured they would be acceptable for today's post which had to include writing of some kind.
Enjoy! :)
_____

-The color of the sky on the day we died... That's difficult to say, it was a sunset, and there's always more than one color in those, usually.

-Do you think joy is real? Or is it really just chemical interactions like the books say? I have proof that joy is real. But I can't tell you what it is, because nobody believes what they're told. You'll just have to listen.

-Once upon a time there was a river. The sun boiled it into roiling steam and captured its sound with the wind.

-Perhaps being the last person in the world has made me lonely and slightly paranoid.

-Children learn their ABC's and how to count to ten. I learned how to Shift.

-The lonely god tossed stars over the world.

-The shadows rose up and screeched.


-Pale faced warrior why do you laugh?


 -A milennia ago, there was peace, a lifetime away, I ended it.

_____

In the room the voices resemble what ghosts in a cathedral must sound like. It must be what grey curtains of rain sound like.

Feet cross and shift on the streaked, hardwood floors.

“When is the event over?” Red hair tumbles over freckled shoulders.

“When the music stops.” The two women, one with red hair and the other black, move away.

From room to room the polished glasses clinking together sound.

Someone laughs.

A beautiful woman sits at the piano. Music dances its way out of the glowing instrument. It is awake. It is singing.

IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER
FROSTY WIND MADE MOAN
EARTH STOOD HARD AS IRON
WATER LIKE A STONE
IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER
LONG AGO


Inside the instrument she wanders. Faces with deep eyes sing to her.

“Play something cheerful now my dear.” A warm hand clasps her shoulder.

Out of the misty world she stumbles. She nods quickly and abruptly begins to play. Slowly falling back into her own heart where winter remains.

_____

And that's all for today. The scene at the end is something from a short story from awhile ago.I hope everyone is enjoying this glorious autumn weather. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment