Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Art Curriculum- Renaissance in Review

Weeks 1-4: Renaissance in Review

This week we had a bit of a break due to sickness and Columbus Day.

So instead of a new lesson, I decided to post a quick overview of the first 4 weeks projects and how they're all Renaissance Inspired.

Last week's lesson was a Fall project (and also began the Impressionist period). To view it click here. Last week before our Fall project was when I did a quick review with the kids to see what they remembered.

I looked up pictures of Renaissance art and other cool pictures I liked that showcased the techniques we were doing. Then I would have them try and remember which project fit best with each picture.

Most of the photos I used as reference or inspiration for my projects can be found on Pinterest Board: Art Curriculum.

  • Week 1- Gridding: A project involving each child coloring in one piece of the bigger picture. I explained how you can transfer a photo's measurements and even make the image you're copying smaller or larger.

  • Week 2- 1 Point Perspective: A painting project which introduces distance and a horizon line for the kids. The Renaissance period was when art was up for being expanded upon. Things like color and texture had more of an impact on the feeling of closeness or realism.

  • Week 3- Tri Toned Cube: Painting a 3 toned cube to create a 3D feel. During the Renaissance shadows and light were paid more attention to. I showed them similar images of blocks and we reviewed the "light source." And I also showed showed how in normal portraits of people how the lighting was used to create depth in skin and hair.

  • Week 4- Self Portrait: Coloring and drawing their own clothing and features on a stick figure. I pointed out that like the kids added gardens or castles people would pose for hours with objects they valued like a favorite pet or a treasured sword. I also made of point of reminding them back then they didn't have cameras. It would take months and a lot of money to have someone paint a realistic portrait of themselves or family members.

This is a very basic overview. But some of them are quite young, and for now this is a good start. As they grow older they will cover the Renaissance in greater detail.

I hope this was helpful and you enjoy the projects!

(logging 1/2 hour)

No comments:

Post a Comment