Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Art Curriculum- Week 3- Tri Toned Cube

Week 3- Tri Toned Cube

Last week's lesson involved 1 Point Perspective. To view it click here.

Artistic Movement: Renaissance

What you'll need:
-tempera/craft paint
-printing size paper (I used copy paper, but the kind you use is up to you)

Time: 20 minutes approximately

The purpose of this lesson was to try to teach the kids about light and shadows. An early start on shading and explaining what a "light source" is.

I allowed the kids the ability to choose their own color but only offered red, blue, and yellow (I used this as an opportunity to have them recall the primary colors to me).

In the picture below you can see the gray scale picture I printed. I showed it to them and pointed out the really bright side, the extra dark side, and the in between side and tried to explain what caused the different shades of color.

What I did as a coloring sheet for the kids: I looked up Tri colored cubes and searched until I found a coloring sheet in the shape I wanted and printed off multiple copies of it.

When each child has his/her color, I had them color the top diamond on it's side.

Then I gave them each white, and helped them carefully mix the blue and the white to create a lighter hue.

In a similar manner I gave them black to achieve the darker shade. They only need a tiny dab of black.

Overall: This was a very easy project to prep and took very little time. The kids (depending on the age group) will probably need help figuring out which portion of the cube is left or right. :)

-Creating an Art Curriculum

(logging 1/2 hour for prep and execution)

No comments:

Post a Comment