Monday, August 4, 2014

Creating An Art Curriculum

A glimpse of my plans... and my Lord of the Rings Marathon. <3
What I'm Working On

The past week I've been working on creating an Art Curriculum for middle grade children and younger.

It will take the kids through 6-7 major art movements in history. 3-4 projects devoted to each movement.

I'm trying to find a variety of projects that involve painting, cutting, and color usage.

Because the kids I'll be teaching (with the assistance of my mother and eldest sister) are an age group of 4-10 there are some basic motor skills that have not developed, as a result what I can do is limited. However there are still many delightful projects that can be accomplished.

This will be my Senior High Project, and so this will work beautifully as a place I can log my progress and hours in a pleasant manner that others might find useful or interesting.

What I've Accomplished So Far:

-Outlined 6 main movements of art + extra "Seasonal Fun" projects
-Figured out how to make a table in Microsoft Word
-Created a physical calendar + outlines in a Word Doc + Lists on my phone (all for project ideas)
-Come up with projects that will take the kids September-December this year
-Created 2 extra Pinterest boards which have proved amazing for pinning projects and ideas
-Gotten a good start on creating a parallel curriculum for my niece who's on the brink of highschool
-Enjoyed the pros of having 2 experienced teachers in the family who have fantastic resources and advice

The Parallel Curriculum

I'm creating a curriculum for my eldest niece who's on a more advanced level. It's following the same structure of artistic movements, but the projects vary from "advanced takes on the kids projects" to different aspects of the art movement itself.

She will be getting more challenges involving pencil, different tools like knives in painting, and photography, etc. She will also have a great deal more freedom with what she can pick and create whereas the Littles will have to be guided step by step for most of the projects.

Because she differs from the main projects and ideas I've created an entire table and list for her that follows the same dates and formula.

Eventually I hope to post the execution of each project and how the Littles (and my niece) handle the projects I pick out.

Basic Outline-

Major Art Movements:
Rennaisance
Post-Impressionism (Fauvism/Expressionism/Pointillism)
Cubism
Surrealism
Abstract Expressionism

Extra:
FALL
WINTER
SPRING

So far this experience has taught me that while I'm a hyper organized person I am not a tidy person. ;)
(Today I'm logging 7-8 hours for outlining, research, and planning)

No comments:

Post a Comment