Monday, April 13, 2015

Art Curriculum- Week 28- "Stained Glass" Tinfoil (Modern Art)


Week 28- "Stained Glass" Tinfoil (Modern Art)

Movement: Modern Art

What you will need:

-hot glue
-cardboard (or card stock)
-tinfoil (heavy duty holds up better)
-sharpies

Time: 45 minutes (not including prep which was 1 hour)

Prep:

I have a stack of cardboard saved from calendars and art pads that I was able to use. However cardstock will work too. You need a stiff or harder material.

I looked up modern art in stained glass windows. I drew the designs in hot glue. Creating solid geometric shapes (circles/rectangles/squares/etc.)

Frank Lloyd Wright has some excellent modern stained glass that I used as a reference.




When pressing the tinfoil down start from the middle and work your way to the edges. I used my pinkie fingers knuckle to press into the edges. Using Yor fingernails will read the foil.

I folded the excess over the back.
 

Project:

I told them they could pick three colors. And then could leave some spaces blank (to create a "fourth").

No same colors could touch except by corners.

Be careful that they don't color to hard or press on the edges, I couldn't get the tinfoil tight in the corners so the edges could tear.

After they finished I went back and touched up the spaces.

Voila!

The foil makes the colors extra vibrant and jewel toned.


frank lloyd wright


Overall: Easy and fun! The end result is beautiful. The only thing to watch for is that the foil doesn't tear, but we had no incidents.

Related blog posts:

-Tardis Step By Step (Cardboard)
-Abstract Watercolor Trees

(logging 2 hours for prep and execution)

No comments:

Post a Comment